One of the natural mineral water springs in Rhineland-Palatinate in the Koblenz urban area is the once regionally well-known "Dähler Born". "Dahl" or "Thal" is an old name for the settlement in the valley below the fortress Ehrenbreitstein, the name Ehrenbreitstein originally only referred to the castle on the mountain top, "Born" is the name of a water spring.
The first mention of the sour water spring is in the year 1327, still marked as "Schwalborn", named after the Junkers of Schwalborn, related to the castle men of the neighbouring fortress Ehrenbreitstein and castle Helfenstein.
Later, in 1584, the scribe Jakob Theodor praised the health benefits of water. During the construction of the fortifications in Dahl and on Ehrenbreitstein, the now renovated and rebuilt fountain house was built around 1820/21 and leased to the owners for 5000 guilders. The water has always been brought with clay jugs to the neighboring villages. Today, for a donation, you can only get some acidulous water from the well yourself. The stone fountain inside the classicistic plaster building consists of a vertical fountain floor with a square ground plan and an octagonal ground plan of the fountain pot. On the fountain there are different dates, which indicate the repairs in different centuries. The last one took place in 1994.