On the initiative of Trier's Elector Philip Christoph von Sötern, the Kapuzinerplatz was settled in the Ehrenbreitsteiner valley in 1627. The monasteries were completed in 1629 and the church consecrated to St. Francis in 1657. In the tradition of the Capuchin monastery doctrine, the architectural design of the buildings is very simple in comparison with neighbouring Baroque buildings, with the exception of the large Baroque altar by Johannes Seiz in the church, which, like many other sacred objects, was donated by the current electors.
In 1813 the monastery was secularized like many others in Napoleonic areas, most buildings were demolished. In 1861 the Prussian state property returned the monastery to the Capuchins, but in 2008 the last Capuchins moved out. The traditional monastery became a branch of the Teutonic Order in 2013. The church has been the parish church of Ehrenbreitstein since 2010 and as such has taken over the function of the now closed Kreuzkirche in the "Koblenz Rechte Rheinseite parish association" of the deanery of Koblenz.