The Neuendorf Flesche was
built in 1820 as part of the fortress system of Emperor Franz under the
direction of the Prussian chief engineer Cornely. The former outer grave wall
with its gallery and the mine passages leading into the apron have been
preserved underground. After completion of the Flesche in 1825, troops of two
infantry regiments immediately occupied the Neuendorf Flesche. In 1911 the
fortress was dragged above ground and built over with today's Rhine barracks.
The extensive underground corridors have been preserved in their old form
except for a small section and can be visited on guided tours.
Andernacher Straße 106