Gastlandschaften Rheinland-Pfalz


Infrastructuur

Rittersturz | Koblenz

The Rittersturz is a well-known vantage point for hikers in the Koblenz city forest, not far from Königsbach and the main railway station. As early as 1892, a Swiss cottage with restaurant was built there, which in 1925 gave way to what was then the most modern hotel in Koblenz. On 02 June 1928 a funicular railway, the Rittersturzbahn, was opened, connecting the hotel with the tram stop in the valley. The hotel survived the war undamaged, so that it was confiscated by the American and French military as a provisional seat of government.

On July 8, 1948, the presidents of the ministers and presidents of the West German states met officially for two days under the leadership of Prime Minister Dr. Peter Altmeier to take an official position on the decision of the Western Allies to form a German state from the three occupation zones of the USA, Great Britain and France. In the conference hotel on the Rittersturz it was decided to accept the foundation of a state without the Soviet zone, but to form a parliamentary council, which elaborates a basic law, since a constitution without integration of the uninvolved parts of the country would hinder a possible reunification.

Although this highlight of democracy took place here, the hotel was demolished in 1974 to the regret of many Koblenz citizens after a long period of decline. The mountain railway was already closed on 25 October 1959. Since 08.July 1978 a basalt stele by Rudi Scheuermann reminds of the historical event. In the year 2008 the area including car parking was renewed and offers both a view and starting point for footpaths in the Koblenzer city forest and for supraregional footpaths such as the RheinBurgenWeg.


You can reach us at:

Rittersturz
Rittersturz
56073 Koblenz

Phone
e-mail

Rittersturz 1892 (Foto: Koblenz Touristik GmbH, Quelle: Koblenz-Touristik GmbH)
Aankomst met trein
bahn.de - Anreiseformular