The Koblenz Theatre, not far from the Electoral Palace, is the only surviving classicist theatre building on the Middle Rhine and the earliest surviving example of a rank theatre in Germany (in contrast to the former Logent theatre). The theatre was built in 1787 as a private theatre on behalf of Trier's Archbishop and Elector Clemens Wenzeslaus and his sister Maria Kunigunde of Saxony in only seven months in early classicist style. In 1867 the building passed into the ownership of the town, which had it renovated in 1869, whereby the interior was rebuilt in the style of historicism. After further renovations in 1937 and 1952, which further modernised the appearance of the building and restored it after the damage caused by the war, the theatre was comprehensively reconstructed from 1984 to 1985 with the aim of coming as close as possible to the original state of 1787.
After an interim capacity of 800 seats (of which a large number is standing room), the Theater Koblenz now has room for almost 460 spectators.
Today the Koblenz Theatre is a three-part theatre with its own ensemble for drama, music theatre and ballet. The repertoire includes opera, musical, drama, ballet, children's and youth theatre from all eras and genres.